I’ve been proud to serve as your Member of Parliament since 2015, working hard for Workington, Cockermouth, Maryport, Aspatria, Silloth and the Solway coast.
Our schools, hospitals and public services have suffered terrible cuts under nine years of Tory austerity, and many local people have been punished by the bedroom tax, Universal Credit delays and cruel benefit sanctions. This has to end.
Labour will increase funding for the NHS, ensure free school meals for all primary school children, bring in a Real Living Wage of £10 an hour, kick-start a Green Industrial Revolution creating 400,000 jobs, restore local bus services and keep the winter fuel allowance, free TV licences and bus passes for pensioners. Don’t let Boris Johnson and the Conservatives sell off our NHS, cut workers’ rights and ignore the climate crisis.
My pledges to you:
• I will fight to keep services at West Cumberland Hospital. Labour will increase funding for the NHS with more nurses and doctors to give patients the care they need.
• I will fight for proper funding for our schools. Labour will ensure free school meals for all primary school children and reduced class sizes for all 5, 6 and 7 year olds.
• I will fight to end poverty pay that leaves working people in need of food banks and top-up benefits. Labour will bring in a Real Living Wage of £10 an hour for everyone aged 16 and over, and no increase in Income Tax or National Insurance for 95% of people.
• I will support a public vote on any Brexit deal. Labour will secure a Brexit deal that protects our economy, workers’ rights, environmental standards and public services, and put it to the people in a public vote.
• I will continue to lead the fight against climate change by pressing for better environmental targets and supporting Labour’s Green Industrial Revolution, which will also create 400,000 jobs.
• I will stand up for jobs and business, through investment in our infrastructure, support for our farmers and tourism sector, and continuing to back West Cumbria as a Centre of Nuclear Excellence.
We're a people-powered movement.
Be a part of it.